Mark Richards

XML

Monday, April 14, 2003

Atlanta Dogwood Festival

This weekend, the Atlanta Dogwood Festival, an annual springtime celebration of arts and entertainment (supposedly), was held in Piedmont Park. From what I could see, most people weren't there for the event's cultural value, but for the chance to drink, sit out in the sun, and listen to live music...basically the same reasons for which I went out. Tens of thousands of people came out for the three day event. I would even venture to say that tens of thousands of dogs were out. You could not walk anywhere by the main stage without stepping on someone or their dog. It was absolutely packed!

I didn't get much of a chance to check out what else was going on, but from what I heard and saw, there were tents lined up all around the park selling all sorts of "fair-type" items, overly expensive food and drinks, parades, and activities for kids provided by the Discovery Channel. It was similar to any fair for festival that is held anywhere in the country, but still a good time nonetheless.

This was the second similar event that I attended at Piedmont Park over the last year, the first being the Atlanta Jazz Festival, and both have been a ton of fun. It was a welcome change to be able to sit in the sun and just hang out with a bunch of friends in a relaxing environment. It's good to change the pace occasionally. I am going to have to attend more of these large events in Piedmont Park when I finally move closer to the city in July.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home