Mark Richards

XML

Monday, February 24, 2003

Team Bad Guy

My freshman year of high school was the last time I ever played any sort of organized baseball. At the time, I was playing on a club soccer team, while trying out for the JV baseball team. My soccer coach asked me to decide between playing baseball and soccer. He wanted a true commitment from me, where I would dedicate all my time and efforts toward one goal. The decision didn't come easily. Although I had more natural talent at soccer, I always loved playing baseball and didn't really want to give it up. To be honest, I was a little angry at being asked to chose between two things which I enjoyed, neither of which I wanted to give up. After a few days of thinking, I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to have any future playing a sport, it was going to be in soccer and not baseball. And that was the end of my illustrious baseball career....that is...until now!

About a month and a half ago I was asked if I wanted to play on a softball team. After about milliseconds of mulling over whether or not I should come out of retirement, I said yes. So I went to my closet and dusted off my father's baseball glove, which he got as an 8th grade graduation gift and tried it on for size. Obviously it was too small for a softball, but hey, what can ya do? So now I am active player for the Team Bad Guy softball team. Things are looking good for me as the starter at second base, but things can change...gotta keep workin' hard.

I'm excited about getting back into the swing of things (no pun intended) and hopefully this season will be the first of many successful seasons for Team Bad Guy.

...Oh yeah...and on a side note, I'm from ColOmbia, not Cuba, and not Columbia, with a "u".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home