Mark Richards

XML

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Hot Streak

For the first time in my softball career, my softball teams are on a hot streak. Team Bad Guy (2-2) and Turner Sports 2 (3-0) are a combined 5-0 over the last two weeks. All this winning is unprecedented. For the longest time, I had only heard that it was fun to win, but now I am getting a chance to feel like a winner myself.

I am very proud of these last five victories because I am finally beginning to get myself on track both at the plate and in the field. I can sum up my plate appearances over the last year in one simple word: crapola. Another change in my stance and approach was needed. I observed some professional ballplayers for tips and took lots of practices swings in the mirror at the gym (yes, I know I am a loser). Finally, I found something I was comfortable with. Since the changes, I have gone 10 for 13 with 7 walks. For you non-math majors, that is a .769 batting average and .850 on-base percentage. Those are some pretty hot numbers. Hopefully, I can keep the momentum going and help both teams score some runs.

Playing baseball from the time I was five, I had the opportunity to play most positions in baseball. The one exception was my current position: shortstop. I have struggled at times getting comfortable in my new surroundings making both fielding and throwing errors frequently. A new glove and some advice from TBG teammate, Brian P., has made a huge difference though. I am starting to feel comfortable at shortstop and I think with a little more time I can develop into a very good defensive player. For my teams' sake, let's hope that I am right.

I would like to raise my glass to Team Bad Guy and Turner Sports 2 for their win streaks.

Here's to streaking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home